(Cross-posted on Facebook)
To me, everyday is Earth Day! Here are some of the things I do throughout the year that you can do too:
- Use real dishes instead of paper or plastic.
- Use reusable mugs or bottles instead of plastic bottles and paper cups.
- Use reusable bags for groceries.
- Skip the bag if you’re just buying one or two items.
- Compost kitchen waste. We have worms that eat most of our veggie waste.
- Use a push mower. Mowers are much dirtier than cars and ours uses no energy except people-power!
- Replace regular incandescent light bulbs with LED or CFL bulbs. Not only does it use less energy, it wastes less energy, therefore keeping your cooling bills down.
- Receive and pay bills online.
- Buy used and shop at used bookstores (I love Half Price Books and GoHastings.com), Half.com, Craigslist, Amazon Marketplace, or eBay.
- Use your local Freecycle group.
- Shop at farmer’s markets.
- Join a CSA.
- Play MP3s instead of CDs or stream video instead of watching a DVD.
- Instead of setting your screen saver, turn off your monitor when you walk away from your computer.
- Use rechargeable batteries in your Wii remotes.
- Shower once a week–just kidding!
What do you do to make everyday Earth Day?